• FAQ

     

    What is the PTA?

    In a nutshell, PTA membership and dues support your student(s) by funding essential educational and curriculum needs; advocating on behalf of students and educators at the local, state and national levels; and building an inclusive school community for all families.

    We invite you to join the Hunting Ridge PTA for your student(s) because increasing our membership, even by one, makes it possible to provide important educational resources, speak up on important issues and create a stronger school community.

    There is no wrong or right way to be involved – anything you can give, whether it’s time or money, will support your student realizing their potential.

    Learn more about the PTA at the local, state and national levels here.


    How does the Hunting Ridge PTA impact our students?

    Hunting Ridge PTA provides programs and resources to students, parents/caregivers and teachers/staff to help enrich their educational experience and social-emotional development, support their health and well-being, strengthen the school community and provide enrichment opportunities. Some of our key programs include: All School Celebration, Hawk Hustle, Literacy/Reading programs, Multicultural Fair, Parent Education seminars and resources Reflections®, Student Programing (assemblies), Talent Show, Teacher Appreciation, Walk to School/Bike to School events, and many more.

    Checkout the Upcoming Events page for more details. 


    Who can be part of the PTA?

    We encourage EVERY family/household and EVERY teacher/staff/administration in the school to become a PTA member. Beyond Hunting Ridge, grandparents, extended family members, friends, neighbors and the broader community are invited to join as well. We want a diverse membership base that reflects all of the families and needs of students at Hunting Ridge. PTA strengthens connections between families/caregivers, students, classmates, and teachers & staff to build a thriving and inclusive community for everyone. In the end, it is our membership that is our greatest asset.

    Checkout the Join & Support page for more details on how to join. 

    #PTAForYourChild


    Where does my money go when I pay membership dues?

    Hunting Ridge PTA wants membership to be accessible to EVERYONE, so 90% of our membership dues ($5/member) go directly to our Illinois PTA ($2.25/member) and the National PTA ($2.25/member) as required. The remaining 10% helps to offset transaction and processing fees.

    The remaining operating budget comes from a variety of fundraising projects and donations. 

    But the real value of our PTA is in its membership! Join here


    How much time do I have to commit to being a member of the PTA? Am I required to volunteer?

    Membership in the PTA can involve as much or as little time as you have to offer. Anything you can give, whether it’s time or money, will support your student’s potential. The only thing required of you to be a member of the PTA is to pay the annual membership dues. Beyond that, however you choose to PTA is up to you. There is no wrong way to PTA.

    Checkout our Volunteer page for more details. 

    #HowDoYouPTA


    How does the PTA advocate at the local, state and national levels and why is it important to my child?

    PTA is active at the local, state and national levels, impacting decisions affecting your student’s health, safety and quality of education.

    At the local level, our Northwest Suburban Council has supported legislation for IEP and 504 Parent notification, Evidence-based Funding, Social Emotional Learning, and more.
    http://nwscpta.org/category/legislation/

    In just the past decade the Illinois PTA has advocated for things like nutritional education to combat childhood obesity, hands free cell phone use while driving, emergency epinephrine and undesignated epi auto-injector use, juvenile justice system reforms, financial literacy education, prevention of asphyxiation games, just to name a few. https://illinoispta.org/advocacy/

    During the past 120 years, PTA’s national advocacy efforts have helped to establish universal kindergarten, the National School Lunch Program, the juvenile justice system, anti-child labor laws and more. And they continuously monitor and advocate for key legislative initiatives impacting our students like e-cigarette/vaping issues, concussion prevention and protocols, equity in education, anti-discrimination/harassment, anti-bullying, mental health and suicide prevention, digital safety, and so much more. https://www.pta.org/home/advocacy