School Meal Procedures
All students have a meal account and P.I.N. (personal identification number). The P.I.N. number is the student’s 6-digit district ID number. If your student was using a P.I.N. last year, that number will not change. These numbers are given to students on the first day of school. Each student inputs their number on a keypad at the end of the serving line and their meal account is automatically debited. Students are able to purchase á la carte items using cash or their meal account. Meal accounts can not go negative when purchasing any a la carte items (including extra milk or second meals). Spending limits can be set by contacting the nutrition services coordinator at your student’s school. You can also choose to not allow any á la carte or second meal purchases for your student. Unless we are notified, a student may use their account to purchase breakfast (if applicable), lunch, and/or á la carte.
All meal payments must be made in advance. Payments can be made with cash, check or by using SchoolCafé.
If paying by cash or check:
- The first payment of the school year should be mailed to your child’s school prior to the first day. Please mark the outside of the envelope “Nutrition Services.” DO NOT send payments to the District office.
- Send payments – cash and/or check – to your student’s school in an envelope marked “Nutrition Services.”
- Include student’s first and last name on both the check and envelope.
- Please make checks payable to “Nutrition Services.”
- Check and cash payments may be made any day before 9:00 a.m.
- If you are paying for more than one student at the same school, please designate the amount for each child.
- Please be advised that there is a $25 fee for all returned and N.S.F. checks.
If paying by credit card, please visit SchoolCafé for more information.
Unpaid Balance Procedure
If a student has an unpaid meal balance in their meal account, a negative balance reminder will be emailed or mailed home. We ask that when the unpaid meal balance reminder is received, that money is sent with the student the following day or deposited via SchoolCafé.
Students must have money in their account to purchase a la carte items or a second lunch.
Notices will be sent home biweekly if your child has an outstanding balance. If families need assistance in paying outstanding balances, they should contact Nutrition Services at 847-963-3929 to discuss alternative payment arrangements.
- All charges not paid before the end of the school year will be carried forward into the next school year.
- All graduating students must pay all charges in full.
Any student who is withdrawn due to moving out of the district or graduating is entitled to a refund of any money remaining in their account by submitting a written or email request or by a phone call to School Nutrition Services at 847-963-3929.
If there are any remaining siblings in the district after a student has graduated, any remaining funds can be transferred to a sibling by submitting a written or email request to Heidi Mals, Nutrition Services secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone 847-963-3930.
Should you have any questions about these procedures, please contact Tina Woods, School Nutrition Services, at 847-963-3928 or email email@example.com.