Work Permits/Employment Certificates for Minors

  • Work permits/employment certificates for minors who reside within District 15 boundaries can be obtained at the Joseph M. Kiszka Educational Service Center, 580 N. 1st Bank Drive, Palatine, IL 60067.

    Note: high school student permits/certificates can be obtained from the student's high school.

    Work Permit/Employment Certificate Checklist

    You will need the following documents in order to obtain a work permit/employment certificate:

    1. The minor’s birth certificate.
    2. A statement of intent to employ the minor, signed by the prospective employer, stating the nature of the position and the number of hours the child shall be working. This should be on company letterhead.
    3. The Principal’s Statement To Issuing Officer, if the child is of school age. (See below for document.)
    4. A Certificate of Physical Fitness. This will be completed by the minor’s physician or pediatrician. (See below for document.)
    5. Social Security card.
    6. Parent/Legal Guardian's approval. A written statement that approves the employment of the minor for the specified job signed by the parent or legal guardian.

    Parents of child performers are required to provide more documentation than they have in the past. If they are not aware of the new requirements, they can refer to the document Guidance on New Requirement for Child Performers (see below for document).

    Once all of the documents are completed, bring them to the Joseph M. Kiszka Educational Service Center, and turn in to the Receptionist, who will submit the information to the Department of Labor. Once the employment certificate is ready for pickup, you will be contacted and provided printed copies of the form.

    For more information, please contact Georgianne O'Donnel,, or 847-963-3000, or visit the Department of Labor website,, which oversees the safety of minors in Illinois by regulating the employment of workers under 16 years of age. The law protects children by limiting working hours, prohibiting work in hazardous occupations, and requiring employment certificates (820 ILCS 205/1-22 Child Labor Law).