Licensure Information for Program Assistants and Substitutes

    1. Link to ISBE website.

    2. All applicants must create an account with ISBE -  How to create an ELIS account.

    3. This link provides additional information about becoming a Paraprofessional Educator, including Short Term Approval for 19-year-olds with a high school diploma.

    4. For Short Term Approval licenses, please have the applicant send a PDF of their high school diploma to Isabela Kuczek at North Cook Intermediate Service Center:

      Izabela Kuczek
      Licensure Specialist
      Phone: 847-803-5614
      Fax: 847-803-3708

    5. For a SUB, Short Term Substitute (STS) or Paraprofessional license which require official/sealed transcripts or results from the WorkKeys test, please have the applicant request their transcript from their school and send it electronically to Izabela Kuczek at the email address above. This will expedite the process rather than waiting for the state. Test scores may also be sent to this address.

    6. Substitute Licensure. Please visit this link for Substitute Teacher requirements and information about obtaining the SUB license.

    7. For questions regarding an individual’s ELIS account, contact the ISBE Call Center at 217-558-3600.

    8. WorkKeys Test. Visit Triton college as one option for the WorkKeys Test. Applicants must pass Applied Mathematics and Workplace Documents with a score of 4 or higher. See WorkKeys Testing Instructions for more information.

    The Short Term Approval License for those 19 and older with a high school diploma is valid through June 30, 2025, and may NOT be renewed.  

    Those holding the Short Term Approval License should work to secure the Paraprofessional License by June 30, 2025.